March 9 – 16
Learn More About Oaxaca Profundo
A memorable journey into the real Oaxaca
With over 30 years experience taking groups to Oaxaca, organizing conferences there , and making presentations ourselves, Ward and Tot Albro and their Tierra del Sol: Mexico Programs and Services are uniquely qualified to give you the opportunity to share an incredible week learning why Oaxaca is THE PLACE to visit in Mexico.
A memorable journey into the real Oaxaca
March 9-16, 2019
With over 30 years experience taking groups to Oaxaca, organizing conferences there, and making presentations ourselves, Ward and Tot Albro and their Tierra del Sol: Mexico Programs and Services are uniquely qualified to give you the opportunity to share an incredible week learning why Oaxaca is THE PLACE to visit in Mexico. A still active historian who has published widely on Mexican history and culture, Ward Albro has long been identified with Oaxacan history, art, and folk art. His wife, Tot, a public school teacher in San Antonio, brings special expertise in textiles, weavings, and folk art. Her Albros Casa y Garden, the store she operated in Castroville, Texas, for many years, was widely known for the Oaxacan products featured there. Both of them treasure the personal relations they have developed over the years with many artists, artisans, scholars, and just great people in Oaxaca.
During the week we will be visiting numerous artists and artisans in their homes and workshops and we will also bring experts to visit with us at our bed and breakfast. We will also have several excursions to archeological and historic sites. The program will include, but not be limited, to the following:
- Guided visit to the Regional Museum in the Santo Domingo
- Guided visit to Monte Alban and Mitla, two of Mexico’s premier archeological sites, with Dr. Pedro Javier Torres Hernandez
- Visit to Jacobo and Maria Angeles’s wood carving workshop in San Martin Tilcajete. Jacobo and Maria’s work is world famous.
- Visit to the Taller de Enrique Flores in San Pablo Huitzo. Enrique’s own art is fantastic and his print shop has come to be a destination for many other fine artists.
- Visit to the back strap weaving center of Santo Tomas Jalieza and the home of the Navarro family. Crispina, Margarita, and Ines, along with their dear
“Mama” produce great work—along with being lovely people. And brother, Gerardo, is a fine artist, as you will learn in his studio.
- Guided visit to the Botanical Garden in the Santo Domingo in Oaxaca. You will be amazed at the diversity of Oaxaca displayed here.
- Guided visit to the Museo Estatal de Arte Popular de Oaxaca (MEAPO) in San Bartolo Coyotepec, directed by famed master of the black pottery, Carlomagno Pedro
- Guided visit to Teotitlan del Valle with demonstration of weaving by the master weaver, Bulmaro Perez combined with a presentation of culinary traditions by Carina Santiago.
- Guided visit to the textile museum in Oaxaca city.
- Busy day in Ocotlan de Morelos and San Antonino Castillo de Velasco visiting museum, home of Rodolfo Morales, Aguilar families of incredible ceramics, renown San Antonino dress makers, and many others.
- Visit to Santa Maria Atzompa and the home and workshop of Enedina Vasquez and her daughters, who produce marvelous works of ceramics.
- And somewhere along the way we will show you how mezcal is made and let you sample it.
Oaxaca cuisine has come to recognized as one of the world’s finest and is featured nowadays in fine restaurants all over the globe. We are convinced you will never find any better than where it originated. You will have a excellent breakfast every day at the Ollin, and then we offer one major meal daily at fine restaurants. We like to eat and you will have the opportunity to experience the best. We may one preset meal but in most cases you order off the menu.
Among the restaurants we will be visiting are the following:
- Los Danzantes
- Las Quince Letras
- La Teca
- Marco Polo
- Azucena (San Martin Tilcajete)
- Tierra Antigua (Teotitlan del Valle)
We will be staying in one of Oaxaca’s finest BnBs, the Oaxaca Ollin. You will enjoy full breakfast there every day. As mentioned, we may also have some presentations at the Ollin. It is also conveniently located for most any thing you might need during the stay.
Price of the program is $2,145 per person.
seven nights lodging, double occupancy, in the Oaxaca Ollin; breakfast and one major meal daily; all excursions, including admission fees and guide services; pickup and return to the Oaxaca airport. Not included is cost of airfare from the United States and return. A $300 non refundable deposit will hold your place in the program and full payment must be received by January 15, 2019, refundable until February 28. Payment may be made by check made out to Tierra del Sol and mailed to Ward Albro, 139 West Mariposa Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78212. Space in program limited to EIGHT participants